Moon Landing or Moonbats

I was 12 when the U.S.A. landed on the moon. Kennedy's dream realized.

I remember it was a muggy July night. My whole family was gathered in our living room. My little brother had stayed up late. I sat on a chair next to my beloved Nana, who was in her usual spot in her rocking chair. (A chair I now proudly own.) The sliding door was open and the sound of the crickets under our six apple trees in our large back yard was all you could hear between the crackling of conversation between the astronauts and NASA.

I remember clearly, after the "one small step" comment, taking my Nana's hand. I felt part of something so very big. And yet the pictures of Earth from space made me also feel so very small. I was too young to realize until years later, my Nana grew up riding in a horse and buggy. She'd lived to see the invention of the car, the airplane and now space travel. She was quiet, kept her thoughts to herself but watched intently.

Nana would be very proud that my President's Award Honor-student child, the one that looks just like her, wants to be an Astronomer and is obsessed with all things Space! Tomorrow we are going to look out for the visible passing of the international space station in the night sky. (You can do the same! To find out the time CLICK HERE)

Back in 1969, I stepped out on the back porch with my Dad and looked up at the very starry sky. Some of our neighbors could be seen doing the same. It was hard to sleep that night, knowing there were men on the moon.

After that my brother and I became very interested in rockets. We got the Estes catalog and I would figure out the best engine for the design my brother wanted. My mother would allow us to order one a month. It was a neighborhood event when we'd blast off these cardboard creations in the front yard. My brother loved making models and at that time he'd made a bunch of space ships with lots of small plastic pieces... falling asleep from inhaling too much Tester's glue at his little table! They'd sit on the shelves in his room, proudly.

Now we have fruit-loops like Whoopi who think it was all a hoax. I saw "Wag the Dog" and yes, there are some hoaxes. But in 1969 a hoax this elaborate? I doubt it.

God bless you, Buzz Aldrin - for being a man.



CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ABOVE VIDEO IF YOU ARE ON AN AGGREGATOR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day to Bare Our Souls - and Find Ourselves

'Fat People Aren't Unstable' -- For This We Needed a Study?

Miriam's Cup