MY CELLPHONE RANT


Cells phones are wonderful inventions. They make sure my children's schools or sitters can reach me almost anywhere if I am needed. If I have an emergency I can reach their father. I can do business just about anywhere now too. Every one of my doctors is programmed in along with family and my kids' school nurses.

But as with all conveniences, there are those who abuse them.

If you live or work in NYC you will know this scene well. You are on the subway, LIRR or PATH going through the tunnels to Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island or New Jersey. All's quiet while you are under the great city of Manhattan, or the East or Hudson Rivers. You hear the clacking of the wheels and squealing of metal to metal and then there's light. You are out of the tunnel. And not a full second goes past when either multiple cell phones start ringing or people pull out their cellphone and start dialing or texting.

Do we really need to be THAT in touch? Is it that important? More often then not the cell phone conversation ends with "tell you more when I see you in a few minutes." What was so important it couldn't wait? And do you have to whip out the phone in shul and text your BFF because it's that boring?

It used to drive my late mother crazy that I had times where I would unplug my phone. Of course, when I first moved to New York 28 years ago she made my roommate crazy by calling 10-15 times a day so our answering machine was full if we just went out for an hour to get Chinese food. When I got married, I'd turn off our ringer and machine on weekends when my husband and I just wanted some down time. When she finally did get me she'd scream "WHAT IF I WAS DEAD!!" My answer, "you'd be just as dead when I found out." And that is exactly what happened since I was at a party when my brother was trying to reach me to tell me when she passed away. I didn't take my cell phone with me that day, I felt - my kids were with me and that was all I needed to know.

Sometimes I don't want to or just can't talk to someone. I often use my answering machine to screen calls. And when I am very upset there's no way I can talk. In my car, if my cell phone rings, if its safe I glance at it and if I don't recognize the name or number, I let you go right to voicemail. And if my kids are with me? I turn off the ringer. Sorry, I just don't need to be that in touch... unless I am waiting for a call. Which isn't that often.

Everywhere I go people have on their Bluetooth or their cell phone jammed to their ear. They don't even stop to have pleasant "thank yous" with bank tellers or shop owners. When cell phones first came out they were huge contraptions. Remember? I remember going out to dinner with my ex and a man brought his girlfriend and 3 of her friends and stuck his massive cellphone in the middle of the table next to us. The thing went off all through dinner with the other patrons quite annoyed. Why talk on the phone if you are going out to dinner? Stay home! Or try having a conversation with your meal companions.

One of my kids has been bugging me for a cell phone. I told them, in 6 or 7 years. Am I strict? You bet I am.

My "favorite" cell phone story took place about 7-8 years ago in Arizona. It was late and my children were asleep. We were staying with my parents in their townhouse. My parents were elderly and asked if I would go to the grocery store now that the temperature outside had cooled off. No problem. I took their list and car and off I went. Thank goodness I didn't have my kids with me. I ended up in line behind a well dressed woman talking at full volume on her almighty cell phone to a friend. She was giving a lurid, blow-by-blow account of the mattress olympics she'd had with her date of the previous night, including size, color, volume & duration of same. She mercifully got to the counter; which had a HUGE sign above it saying "Cash Transactions Only." Yeah, you know what's coming... she whipped out her checkbook. The poor, red-faced young man who was checking her out and was privvy to her loud confessional, along with everyone in a 30 foot radius, pointed to the sign. Did she apologize for not paying attention? NOOO!! She had a fit. She wasn't going to give him cash! And then, the coup de grace - without missing a beat she rants to her cell phone audience "this jerk will only take cash." The check-out man wanted her out of the store so he processed her check and off she went... still on the cell phone. I was next so I assured him I had cash. He was red in the face from hearing what we'd all heard. When I left the store she whizzed passed me in her silver Infiniti... cell phone still affixed to her ear. At least she was in her car so no more "TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" But there should have been a warning to others on the road that night.

There's the people who have to wear the cellphone strapped prominently to their belt or pants. As if to show you just how important they truly are. Or the ones with so much bling on the phone they can't get the thing open. Beam me up, Scotty!

One fed up cell phone abuse victim came up with the "Dear Cell Phone User" cards. I think I will order a few gross.

Last thing, the ringtones. Some are funny and I don't mind... but if you weight 350lbs, have on some homeboy outfit and are over 40? Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back" isn't going to cut it. (I like that song, don't ruin it for me.) And the foul language ringtones? Will you whiggers please stop with the "Pick Up The Phone, N*****" tone. It's not funny the 10th time. It's rude. Yes, I have a custom ringtone. I change it to something else every once in a while. But no racial epithets. Please.

In re-reading this post I worry - am I turning into my late father? (Sorry, Dad!) Am I being intolerant or a grumpy old lady? I love living in New York City. I like the sounds of the City. I like conversing with my dinner companions. I like the few moments of silence to review in my head that I got everything I needed while in line at the grocery store. When I blow my horn or signal I am changing lanes, I expect you to pay attention to the road and not blather on your cellphone. Is that too much to ask?

One question though: are we so attached to our cellphones because we are that much afraid of being alone?



PLEASE CLICK HERE TO JBLOG ME

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day to Bare Our Souls - and Find Ourselves

'Fat People Aren't Unstable' -- For This We Needed a Study?

Miriam's Cup